C$36.72 – C$205.99
The Symmetric Designs Headmaster Collar provides cool and comfortable head and neck support for patients with health conditions like ALS (a.k.a. Lou Gehrig’s disease), arthritis, motor neurone disease and many other diseases that weaken the neck muscles.
The Symmetric Designs Headmaster Collar provides comfortable support for the head and neck. It is a breathable support, which does not retain heat so that the patient stays cool and comfortable while wearing it.
The collar is also designed with quick release velcro in order to be easy to put on or remove. Cleaning and maintenance are also straightforward. As a result, you will find this neck support to be user friendly and not requiring large amounts of maintenance.
The collar will allow the patient to experience improved breathing and swallowing. It does this by helping to open the trachea and esophagus. This type of improvement in the patient’s ability to perform daily functions is a significant benefit of using an orthopedic support for the treatment of conditions like arthritis. However, these benefits are not just for sufferers from arthritis. They will also apply to patients with other motor neurone diseases (like Lou Gehrig’s disease) who choose to wear the Headmaster Collar.
The Headmaster collar is not just designed for the benefit of the patient. For the personal responsible for fitting the device and caring for the patient., the collar facilitates the use of a tracheal tube if the patient needs such a device.
In addition, the Headmaster collar is designed to be easy to for the caregiver to fit. In fact, the caregiver can simply bend the collar by hand to the shape needed.
If the patient needs additional comfort to use the collar in specific circumstances (such as while travelling), there are several accessories (described below) that are available for this purpose.
Another advantage of the collar is its modular design and the ease with which its parts can all be replaced. This makes the collar economical to use even over the long term. You will not need to replace the entire collar just because one part of it is damaged or wears out.
To add to its overall ease of use, the fitter will only need to perform a single measurement to choose the correct collar size.
Headmaster Collar – Indications
The Headmaster Collar is suitable for providing relief from the discomfort and inconvenience the following health conditions:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS);
- Multiple Sclerisos;
- Dropped Head Syndrome;
- Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome;
- Other Motor Neurone Diseases.
Generally speaking, any patient with a condition that causes weak neck muscles will benefit from using the Headmaster Collar.
Collar sizes available are Infant, Child, Junior,Small, Medium and Large. There is a size chart under the Sizing tab on this page to help you determine the correct size for your patient.
Collar colors available are Black, Grey, Beige & Blue.
Headmaster Collar – Accessories
Together with the collar, there are a number of optional accessories that you can buy to improve its support and wearing comfort. They are briefly described below:
- Anterior Support – this will provide firm resistance to flexion.Please note that you should remove the anterior support while the collar is being transported. Please note also that the anterior support will come with its own chin pad. Although the anterior support increases collar flexion resistance, it will also increase the rigidity at the front of the collar. The chin pad will help to ease the resulting strain on the chin. However, the chin pad may also be purchased separately (see below);
- Neck Pad – This increases the support for the back of the patient’s head, thus increasing his or her wearing comfort. The patient will also enjoy additional head support in extension. The neck pad is also very useful when the patient is travelling or experiencing conditions that cause instability (e.g. if he or she is in an airplane going through turbulence). Another situation in which the neck pad is useful is when the patient is in a reclining position against a relatively rigid surface. This may occur, for example, when using the headrests of certain wheelchair models;
- Extension Pads – These increase patient neck support. The caregiver can also position them to provide more central support or greater lateral support as needed. The benefit to the patient will be increased lateral head control. Extension pads may also be useful when the patient is undergoing lateral instability that tends to cause side to side head movements. The extension pads attach to the collar by means of a small Velcro strip. To install the pad, the caregiver only needs to push it onto the inside strapping;
- Chin Pad – The chin pad is included with the anterior support but may also be purchased separately. One reason for doing this may be for use on the chest portion of the collar. In this way, the chin pad will provide additional padding and greater patient comfort. Another reason for purchasing a separate chin pad is that, although the patient may not need one in the initial stages of wearing the anterior support, he or she may eventually need one as time goes on. This is especially the case when a progressive condition such as ALS is involved.